What I Like About Malaysia

Welcome to What I Like About Malaysia!

1.  Affordability

I am paying $600 for a 2-bedroom, one bath apartment with a kitchenette that has a cooker, a refrigerator, and a washing machine.  All bills paid. I recently had internet installed by Time.  The monthly rate for unlimited internet with 100 Mbps is $37.46.  A down payment of  $75 and valid passport information was required.   I ordered the service online, and the service was installed two days later.   It took approximately fifteen minutes for the installation.  The internet is fast, but my kids say that when they are chatting on Xbox, they receive complaints about a lousy ping issue.  Otherwise, it works very well until a month after the installation when we were not able to get a connection.  The installer informed us beforehand that it would happen and for us to call customer service.  That's what I did.  The only problem was that you lose the network name that you created as well as the password you provided.  The network reverts to default settings,  but the password under the modem.  Someone was scheduled to come out and fix it, but they never showed up.  It wasn't a big deal since the internet worked.  The installation was on April 24, 2018, and the first bill wasn't due until June 5th.

For three months, we tried accessing the internet via a portable Wi-Fi device, but it wasn't dependable.  I needed internet to work.  I was unproductive and frustrated.  If I didn't get back to work, we would run out of money.  After receiving dependable Wi-Fi, I worked twelve to fifteen hours a day catching up, and it's paying off.  I've added more content to my online stores, and I am now selling eBooks.  I'm more active on social media to help boost my brand.
So, my expenses are $600 for rent and $37.46 for the internet.  The total cost is $637.46.  Not too bad, huh?  It would be cheaper if I moved to a different location.  Back in America, I was paying around $1300.

2.  Food

This topic should also go under the affordability category.  I've mentioned this in previous blogs, but it's worth mentioning again.  The price of beef and pork is astronomical.  Before I go further, I want to indicate that pork is sold separately with the liquor, beer, wine, and cold-cuts.  Be warned; if you enjoy pork chops or pork roast, you will not get it here.   If you are looking to purchase large packages of meat, you won't get it here.  For instance, in Texas, I can buy a bag of leg quarters which consists of approximately ten leg quarters for a reasonable price.  In Malaysia, leg quarters come in a small package with one leg quarter (one leg, one thigh).  The price is less than $2.   They also sell whole chickens, but it comes with a price.  The price is that you also get the head and feet!  Oh, gross!  When I saw that, I immediately dropped the bag.  Could you imagine chicken eyes looking at you?  The price of whole chickens with the head and feet is lower.  I think the price is around 14 RM ($3.50 a chicken).   The organic chicken price is about 24 RM ($6).   We typically get the chicken wings.  The bag has three to five pieces for no more than $2.  If you do the math, a family pack of chicken wings in Texas ranges from $12 to $14.  For that price, you get approximately twenty wings.  In Malaysia, twenty wings would cost roughly, $7.  That's a considerable saving.  I recently went shopping.  The total was 127 RM or $32 from Jaya Grocer (see below).



EXPLANATION:

Chicken ribs are thighs.  They call breast, carcass.  There are two thighs per package. 4.28 RM ($1.08)

The Kleenex bundle was five big boxes for 12.74 ($3.21).  Isn't that amazing!  They do not offer kleenex with lotion.

Eight rolls of paper towels 10.25 RM ($2.58)

The potatoes come in a small satchel bag with approximately 5 in each bag for 5.40 RM ($1.36).  They do not sell potatoes in 5 lb, 10 lb, or 20 lb bags.

A liter of 100% orange juice was on sale for 4.70 RM ($1.18)

100% Honey for 13.68 ($3.44!) for real honey!!!  When my kids first tasted the honey, the first word that came out of their mouth was, "Oooh!"  They fell in love with this stuff. They say it doesn't taste as thick as American honey.

I want to talk about cooking oil. I didn't buy any on this trip, but the price is 2.95 (0.74!!) for a regular size bottle.  Can you imagine cooking oil for less than a dollar?

The examples above prove that food is very inexpensive in Malaysia.  I don't know how they do it.
The Malaysian's think we are rich.  They are bold enough to ask how much are we paying for the apartment.  Maybe people who live in apartments above a mall are targeted as rich.  If they only knew.   The locals are surprised when they hear how much we are paying on rent.  According to the locals, we are spending too much.  I should be paying roughly $450 for a two bedroom, but we like the host.

MEAL

Here's an example of what a meal costs.  As you can see on the list, I purchased two bags of potatoes.  There are approximately five potatoes in each sack.  I already have a bag in the apartment.  The meal will be potato soup without the bacon, which costs 27 RM or $6.80.  I usually cook three bags of potatoes, add onions, bell peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, cream of chicken instant soup in a package, and cheese.  We are going to do without the cheese this time around.  A container of cheese with twenty-four slices costs $5.  The broccoli and cauliflower are used to make the soup voluminous.  This soup will last two days.  Now, let's break down the cost. Potatoes are $4, broccoli and cauliflower  $2.  Add in another $2 for the extra stuff, and the total for this meal is $8.00 or $4 per day or one dollar each (four of us) per day for all of us to eat.  We couldn't eat for a dollar day in America.   This only for dinner though.

BREAKFAST 

For breakfast, we would eat rice or oatmeal.  Oatmeal is on the list and priced at 15.80 or $4. Add in the butter and sugar for another buck, and you get $5.  The oatmeal usually lasts three days.  If you divide $5 into three days, you get $1.67 a day for breakfast for four.  For $1.67 a day, I can feed four people.  FYI - A thirty count of eggs costs approximately $3.00.  They do not sell eggs by the dozen.  It's either eight or thirty.  They do not have biscuits!

MEAL 2

Another meal would be fried chicken, ramen, and broccoli.  On the grocery list, it shows five packages of meat totaling 26.52 RM or $7.  That's pretty darn good for five packages of meat.  The big packet of plain ramen without the spices was 4.24 or $1.   For flavor, we add salt and pepper or use the instant soup mix, which we are going to do with this meal.  The soup mix was 3.62 RM or $1.  I already have the oil and flour.

Chicken $7, ramen, $1, soup mix $1, broccoli $2.  The total is $11.  This meal will feed four people for two days.

3.  Transportation

We are presently living in a rural area where we must depend on taxis or Ubers.   A trip to the airport only costs $10 for the four of us.   Not only is the fare affordable, but they are also quick.  If I had to choose between public transportation and an Uber, Uber will win, even though it would be cheaper with public transit.

4.  Deliveries

I love the options of ordering groceries and fast-food online and having it delivered to you for less than a dollar per delivery.  That's right!  Less than a dollar.  I don't know how these people can survive, financially, for what they offer.  Food is either delivered via truck or scooters. 
Well, that's about it.  I know the list is short, but hopefully, it's informative.  My kids are ready to move to South Korea or China, but the cost of living is too expensive.  Our next big move will be Thailand. First, I need to figure out how we can stay longer than thirty days.

5.  Convenience

I love the idea that the apartments are above a mall with a grocery store.  I can shop, buy groceries, go bowling, and get an eye exam at one location.  That's a big thumbs up.



Please join me next time for, "Things I Dislike  About Malaysia."

Comments

  1. As a local, I find that it's cheaper to dine out then to cook! Besides, you are spoiled for choices, don't you think!?

    Anyways, welcome to Malaysia!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Mesa Hills

The Visa Run